Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

00516017.EXE Unable to locate component. (NUMISC.DLL)

by liquidtrance000 / June 16, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

Several weeks ago I contacted Symantec Technical Support to help reinstall Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works and provided one of their technicians with remote access to my computer to assist me.

After updating and re-installing Norton Internet Security and then Norton System Works (Which runs fine, now) we rebooted my laptop. Once the desktop opened, an error message appeared:
"00516017.EXE Unable to locate component. The application failed to start because NUMISC.DLL was not found."
I left the error message up in hopes of bringing it to the Symantec Technician's attention-- To my dismay, as long as the error message was up, the computer would power off within 1 minute of starting up. I tried to reboot the computer three times with the same outcome (the desktop opening, the error message appearing, and the comptuer powering off). I finally clicked the "OK" prompt of the error message, and my computer then seemed fine.

As of several days ago, my computer has begun to power off unexpectedly and without warning. No error message appears, but I am convinced it is related to the NUMISC.DLL error. The computer will power off while I'm in the middle of browsing web pages, during Norton virus scans, when the computer is idle-- Any time. But there seems to be no method to the madness. There does not seem to be a specific time frame for which the computer powers off (though it seems to stay ON for at least 45 minutes or so), and there is no indication as to why it shuts down.

I am running Windows XP, and my laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-FJ270.

I tried contacting Symantec Technical Support again, providing them remote access, but they seemed clueless. They emptied my "Temp" folder, opened up Norton, and told me the problem was resolved. Unfortunately, it isn't.

Any help to resolve this problem would be GREATLY appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 00516017.EXE Unable to locate component. (NUMISC.DLL)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 00516017.EXE Unable to locate component. (NUMISC.DLL)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since it's their code.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

There is little I can offer except to uninstall the product, go get something else. Ask for your money back.

Collapse -
Please Try Restarting In Safe Mode, Then Uninstall Norton..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 2:26 AM PDT

If you can't stay running for more than a few minutes, try restarting the computer into "Safe Mode with Networking". (Restart the computer and immediately start pressing the F8 key, once per second, till a selection screen loads. Use the "up/down arrow" keys to select "Safe Mode with Networking".) If it stays running while in Safe Mode, then try uninstalling ALL of Norton from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section.. In addition, the link below provides a "Norton Removal Tool" which will remove Norton Internet Security from your computer. If Norton won't uninstall while in Safe Mode, or even if it does uninstall, be sure to run the "Norton Removal Tool" to clean out any remnants.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

If necessary, you can use a friend or family member's computer to perform the download of the removal tool, then copy it to a flash drive and transfer it to your "problem" machine.

After you've got Norton removed from the computer, you'll need to make a decision.. Continue with Symantec products are not? There are some great free antivirus and antispyware programs out there.. It's your choice on where to proceed from there.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
reply to: 00516017.EXE Unable to locate component. (NUMISC.D
by caktus / June 16, 2008 2:29 AM PDT

You are not alone as others are experiencing the same. Probably the biggest part of the problem is Symantec/Norton it's self. The only fixes I know of is to use System Restore or Last known good configuration and neither of these is guaranteed to work.

Personally I would, and have stopped using Norton products long ago. And as many, have opted for other stand alone utilities. I would recommend AVG Free 8 and Zone Alarm. Some of the best things really are free.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!