U.S. International Trade Commission has denied a request for a stay on a ban imposed earlier this month on the import of new handsets using Qualcomm's 3G chips.
The U.S. International Trade Commission has denied Qualcomm's request for a stay on the ban imposed earlier this month on new 3G handset models that use Qualcomm chips, Broadcom announced Friday.
Qualcomm has been found to be infringing on several patents of rival Broadcom. On June 7, the six-member ITC ordered a ban on the import of all future models of cell phones using Qualcomm chips that violate these patents. The ban affects all future versions of handsets using Qualcomm's 3G chipsets.
Broadcom said it "simply wants to be adequately compensated for the use of our intellectual property." The company added that the "burden of resolving these matters rests squarely with Qualcomm."
Industry watchers say it's no surprise that the ITC stuck with its original decision.
When the ban was first announced, Qualcomm said it didn't expect the order would end up going into effect. President Bush still could veto the order. Qualcomm has also appealed to a federal court for a stay.