Autoplay: ON Autoplay: OFF
CNET News Video
Tech Minute: Save battery with paid appsOne of the biggest complaints about smartphones is how quickly the battery drains. To conserve energy, you can try turning down the screen brightness or connecting over wireless Internet instead of the network. In this Tech Minute, CNET's Kara Tsuboi...
I know how much you love playing your Angry Birds for hours on end and while I'm not suggesting you stop playing the addictive game, if you're interested in conserving battery life, I suggest you download the paid version instead of the free one. Here is the situation computer scientist at Purdue University conducted tests to analyze apps usage on Android Phones and what they found is someone surprising. Only 10% to 30% of the energy used is spent to power the actual functionality of the app. What that means os that the other 70% to 80% of the battery juice is use essentially for advertisements. When you open an app , especially free one, your phone needs to connect to as network, draining the battery. Turn on the GPS to find your location, draining the battery and then downloads ads specific to your location, again draining the battery. So, a simple solution or trade off would be the pay for the advertisement free apps. Hey, two ninety nine for that many hours of Angry Birds entertainment, seems like a deal to me. In San Francisco, I'm Kara Suboy, CNET.com for CBS News.