One minor disappointment with theBlu-ray player was its inability to handle 3D discs. No more: In August, the Xbox One will finally play back 3D Blu-ray movies ahead of the , which still doesn't have that feature, even though the .
Microsoft's blog post on the upcoming August software update tells what's new. There's actually a fair amount, including the ability to buy software from a mobile device and have it automatically start downloading on the Xbox One at home. This feature already exists for the PlayStation 4, and comes in handy for large downloads.
Other features, and what they mean:
- Activity feed updates, and expanded friend area on Home screen: you'll be able to see what your friends are doing, and be more aware of it right from the Xbox One dashboard. And it'll show how long a friend's been away from his or her console.
- Mobile purchases: You can buy games or other content from the SmartGlass app or from Xbox.com, and have it download right to your Xbox One remotely.
- Low battery notification: You can already peek at your controller's battery level, but a pop-up warning now lets you know when it needs a recharge.
- Disable notifications during video: It's amazing this wasn't available before.
- OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Four more countries can try connecting their Xbox One to their TV and browse TV listings.
Those with early preview access could get these updates as soon as next week.