Tech security conference enthusiasts will have a choice between two events, Microsoft's Security Summit or Gartner's IT Security Summit, both on tap for this week.
However, it's not every day that you get to learn about security risks from a high-profile reformed con man. Among the many speakers at the Gartner event will be ex-con man Frank Abagnale, who was played in the hit 2002 movie "Catch Me If You Can" by Leonardo DiCaprio. For those who didn't see the movie, or read the book, Abagnale made a deal with the FBI to put his con skills to work in its fraud prevention unit. The conference will be in Washington, D.C.
Meanwhile, Microsoft's Security Summit will feature a keynote speech from Brian Valentine, senior vice president from the Windows Core Operating System division.
Other notable events include Hewlett-Packard's meeting with security analysts in San Jose, Calif., where senior management will be giving presentations.
Tech earnings reports are light this week, with National Semiconductor among the more notable.
Events scheduled this week:
Sunday, June 6
Research firm IDC's RFID Update is designed to give the latest news and user case studies and pilots to help corporate decision-makers answer questions about radio frequency identification technology. IDC RFID Update, June 6-7, Boston.
Monday, June 7
The 10th Annual Gartner IT Security Summit will feature speaker and ex-con man Abagnale, June 7-9, Washington, D.C.
Gartner is also hosting an event for CIOs and IT professionals that highlights the effective use of market information through Web-based business systems to further productivity. Gartner Application Integration and Web Services Summit, June 7-8, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Tuesday, June 8
Microsoft's Security Summit will be held June 8 in Anaheim, Calif.
Senior executives from HP will be meeting with security analysts to give an update on the company, June 8, San Jose, Calif.
Wi-Fi Planet Conference and Expo is billed as the event where major manufacturers, sellers and buyers of Wi-Fi related technology assemble. Speakers include IBM's James Keegan, vice president of
Global Pervasive Wireless e-Business. Wi-Fi Planet Conference and Expo, June 8-10, Baltimore.
Wednesday, June 9
- Net2Phone is a provider of voice services that include voice over Internet Protocol technology. It is expected to report a third-quarter loss of 13 cents a share.
Thursday, June 10
- National Semiconductor is a maker of computer chips. It is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 29 cents a share.
- SCO Group is a seller of the Unix operating system and related products. It is expected to report a second-quarter loss of 33 cents a share
Monday, June 7
- Consumer Credit is the total level of debt held by U.S. consumers. The July total is expected to climb to $5.5 billion, from $5.7 billion the previous month.
Thursday, June 10
- Initial Claims is the weekly total of new claims filed for unemployment compensation. The total is expected to dip to 335,000 for the week ended June 5, from 339,000 in the previous week.
Friday, June 11
- Producer Price Index is a broad measure of the price of goods at the wholesale level. Growth for the month of May is expected to be 0.6 percent, following an increase of 0.7 percent in the previous month.