Most of these companies are slated to post quarterly profits, providing an interesting earnings week.
Events scheduled this week:
Sunday, Aug. 8
- Business intelligence and data warehousing will be discussed during the TDWI World Education and Training, Aug. 8-13, San Diego.
Monday, Aug. 9
- Charter Communications is a cable company. It is expected to report a third-quarter loss of 50 cents a share.
- Commerce One is a business-to-business e-commerce company. It is expected to report a second-quarter loss of 9 cents a share.
Tuesday, Aug. 10
- Cisco Systems is a networking company. It is expected to report a fourth-quarter profit of 20 cents a share.
- Computer Sciences is an IT consulting company. It is expected to report a first-quarter profit of 57 cents a share.
- EchoStar Communications is a satellite TV subscription service. It is expected to report a second-quarter profit of 23 cents a share.
Thursday, Aug. 12
- BEA Systems is a business applications software vendor. It is expected to report a second-quarter profit of 7 cents a share.
- Dell is a computer maker. It is expected to report a second-quarter profit of 31 cents a share.
Thursday, Aug. 12
- Business Inventories summarizes total sales and inventory for the retail, wholesale and manufacturing sectors. June growth is expected to hold steady at 0.4 percent over the prior period.
- Retail Sales measures total receipts from U.S. stores. Growth for July is expected to rise to 1 percent, compared with a decline of 1.1 percent the previous month. Excluding auto sales, growth is expected to increase slightly to 0.4 percent, compared with a decline of 0.2 percent in the prior period.
Friday, Aug. 13
- Producer Price Index is a broad measure of the price of goods at the wholesale level. July growth is expected to climb to 0.2 percent after a 0.3 percent drop the previous month.