CNET también está disponible en español.

Ir a español

Don't show this again

Culture

Sulfuric acid on a Big Mac makes for a gross-out combo meal

Corrosive acid makes contact with a McDonald's hamburger with disgusting (and slightly surprising) results.

I would like one Big Mac, please. Hold the sulfuric acid. Appropriately named YouTube channel Let's Melt This took on the challenge of answering the question, "What happens if you pour sulfuric acid on a McDonald's Big Mac?" The iconic fast-food sandwich undergoes the disgusting torture test on film. You might not want to watch this if you're currently eating.

The highly corrosive acid hits the Big Mac with a low sizzling sound. The time-lapse accounts for 30 minutes of acid exposure. The burger visibly deflates and streaks of horrifying blackness run down the sandwich, ending up in a molten pool below. What's fascinating is how intact the burger manages to remain after this treatment. The top bun turns hard. A gloved hand prods at the destroyed remains. It's a stomach-turning demonstration of the acid's raw power.

"We originally thought the Big Mac would dissolve into a giant pile of mush. Turns out the sulfuric acid actually cooked the outside of the Big Mac bun until it was rock hard," writes Let's Melt This.

The acid-soaked Big Mac stands in proud company with a Big Mac covered in molten copper earlier this year. Which one is less appetizing? You'll have to make that decision for yourself, but I'm going with the sulfuric-acid burger.