How long before we can paint a display on our walls? Is Apple's Retina Display really at the limits of human perception? And what's up with those Sharp four-color TVs? These and other display issues get addressed in this episode with CNET's Eric Franklin and DisplayMate CEO Ray Soneira.
Show notes and talking points
- Plasma. Why isn't plasma dead?
- Power consumption of displays
- Four-color Sharp display: discuss
- OLED monitors coming soon? Or just mobile?
- Other myths: How important is refresh rate?
- Image processing: how important?
- E-ink developments
- The "Retina Display"
- Where's my display-in-a-paint-can?
Things we didn't get to:; 3D displays.
Links from Ray Soneira:
- Sharp Quattron is a marketing gimmick and actually decreases picture quality
- iPhone has a great display but is not a true Retina Display
- BrightnessGate - Brightness and power mismanagement for Smartphones (wastes battery) and HDTVs (wastes oil)
- Super LCD versus Super OLED
- Display myths shattered: How manufacturers cook their specs
- High refresh rates don't reduce the response time or motion blur
- LCD versus plasma shoot-out