The November 2015 update for Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain makes a number of changes to PF Ratings, gear development, FOB invasions, and more.
Most importantly, however, it also gives you a way to undo a significant plot point in the game's narrative. For the purpose of separating the general changes to the main game from the spoiler, this element will be detailed at the bottom of this story.
Here's all the non-spoiler changes:
- PF Rating Screen: The update features changes to the user interface of the PF Rating screen, such as revised displays of the factors contributing to your PF's overall strength. With this better understanding of your PF's status, you'll have all the necessary intel to get the most out of FOB missions, etc. Also, look forward to a new PF Rating Event scheduled for November 2015!
- Grade 8 and New MGO Gear: Following on from the addition of the current highest development grade (Grade 7), you will now be able to develop Grade 8 equipment as well. Grade 8 equipment are also classified as new online development items, or items that continue the development process even while you are away from your game system or PC. You can also use earned MB Coins to shorten the development time.
- New FOB Security Devices: All of the newly-added security devices are online development items, so their development will continue even while you are away from your game system or PC. You can also use earned MB Coins to shorten the development time.
- Anti-Reflex Research: The unit function "Anti-Reflex Research" is newly added to the Medical Team. The higher your Medical Team's level gets, the shorter an invader's Reflex Mode time will be.
- Stealth Mode in FOB: While infiltrating a rival's FOB, using Stealth Mode (pressing the Action Button while prone) will cause your Predicted FOM (field of movement) to disappear from the defending player's iDroid, and the defending Intel Team will also be unable to search out your general location.
- FOB 3: You can now give your PF a huge boost by constructing a third FOB. With the resulting major increases in max. staff capacity, you can look forward to unit functions being upgraded across the board.
- Beginner Functions: From now on, it will be easier for players to obtain the "Chicken Hat" and "Lil' Chick Hat" (awarded to those who repeatedly fail a mission). For those having trouble with a difficult mission, these items will be a significant help. Also, a "Rookie Assist Function" is added to Espionage Ratings (the results of FOB Missions). This function prevents rookie players from losing Espionage Points when they fail at FOB invasions or defenses.
- The top rankings for PF Rating and Espionage Rating will now be displayed.
- Whereas until now only resources in your offline inventory could be sold, from now on your online inventory can also be sold.
- The issue with certain DLC uniform equipment not having its advertised effect is now fixed.
- In-game notifications of events and other news have been improved
Reddit user Brotigan also discovered it is possible to bring Quiet back as a buddy through the latest update. The character, who is shown disappearing into the Afghan desert in the final missions of the main game, is recovered by playing "Cloaked in Silence" seven times. This will eventually change the name for the mission to "[Reunion] Cloaked in Silence." When completed, Quiet will rejoin Diamond Dogs.
November's Metal Gear Online update, meanwhile, adds new cat-themed headgear, including the Ricky Cat Hat for 300 MB Coins.
The Phantom Pain received glowing praise upon release, including a 10/10 score from GameSpot. It also represents something of a turning point for Konami, as series creator Hideo Kojima is rumored to have exited the company on October 8. However, Konami claims the veteran game designer is only on vacation.