Talks to make The Beatles' catalog available on Apple's iTunes have "stalled," according to Paul McCartney.
Apparently the impasse is between the band's representatives and record label EMI, McCartney told the Associated Press in London on Monday. EMI, the smallest of the four top recording companies can't close a deal with iTunes or any new music formats without the authorization of the Beatles: McCartney, Ringo Starr, and the estates of the late George Harrison and John Lennon.
McCartney made the comments at an event to kickoff his new album, Electric Arguments, the AP reported.
"The last word I got back was it's stalled at the whole moment, the whole process," McCartney said. "I really hope it will happen because I think it should."
Apple Corps has long declined to allow Beatles music to be offered over the Web and things looked bleakest after Apple Corps sued Apple over a trademark dispute. The case was resolved last year.
An EMI representative told CNET News late Monday that it hopes to have an agreement soon.
"We have been working very hard to secure an agreement with Apple Corps to make The Beatles' legendary recording catalog available to fans in digital form," An EMI spokesperson. "Unfortunately the various parties involved have so far been unable to reach agreement, but we really hope that everyone can make progress soon."