- Konarka announces strategic collaboration and $45 million investment from Total--press release
Oil company Total is investing in plastic solar cell company Konarka to use the cells in its subsidiaries' products.
- DARPA wants JP-8 from algae--Defense Industry Daily
The Air Force wants to develop an algae-based jet fuel. via Biofuels Digest.
- Turbulence for two East Coast offshore wind farms--The New York Times
Environmental reviews and disputes between federal agencies over oversight is delaying offshore wind projects.
- Irvine-based BlueFire Ethanol to build facility in South Korea--OC Metro
Sign of progress at a company to watch. They make or other waste products.
- Imara introduces advanced lithium-ion battery tech for high-power applications--press release
The battery business continues to heat up. SRI spin-off, formerly called Lion Cells, officially launches and says it will deliver lithium-ion batteries for power tools, lawn equipment, and vehicles in about a year.
- California approves plan to slash greenhouse gases--AFP
Details on California policy that provides potential market for clean-tech companies.
- Scientists urge caution in ocean-CO2 capture schemes--Reuters
Australian study urges serious caution over the idea of artificially causing to sequester carbon.
- Platinum-free fuel cell--Technology Review
Researchers in China find a way to replace expensive platinum catalysts with nickel.
- Bad news from Q-Cells spreads through solar supply chain--Cleantech Group
Kind of an ominous sign when the leading solar cell manufacturer says that a "flood" of customers (solar panel makers) have canceled orders.
- Dell expands global green-packaging strategy--press release
On the greening business front, packaging is a big source of trash. Wal-Mart likewise tackled packaging as part of its own sustainability initiative.
A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.