- Here's a sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary:
- National Grid: Dream or Reality? Greentech Media
A common topic at this week's solar power conference: the thorny problem of how to upgrade the U.S.' electricity distribution grid and whether the federal government should take a stronger role.
- SunPower net income almost triples as sales advance - San Jose Mercury News
Sign of strong demand from a company that does both residential and large-scale solar installs.
- Masdar to invest in London Array offshore wind farm as first step of a global renewable energy partnership with E.ON - Press release
Based in the United Arab Emirates, Masdar moves further into clean energy with a stake in an offshore wind project.
- U.S.' First Feed-In-Tariff For Solar Power Could Be Adopted by Gainesville, Florida : TreeHugger
The feed-in tariff, where renewable energy is purchased at a set rate for 20 years, has been credited for creating the solar market in Germany.
- Industry Executive: Solar is the bright spot in this bad economy - Renewable Energy World
Video: echoing , solar industry executives parse the credit crunch's impact on the solar business.
- A greener grid: Will energy be the next big thing for Google? - Los Angeles Times
No one knows for sure, but some financial types expect Google to participate directly in the energy business. Question is: is this a distraction or a related business?
- The Associated Press: Ithaca, N.Y., wants to be America's 1st podcar city
Ithaca thinks it's time to consider alternative modes of transportation with mini-car.
- U.S. falls behind on biofuel goals - AP
Good reality check on cellulosic ethanol--the U.S. isn't even close to meeting government mandates.
- Cellulosic biofuels endanger old-growth forests in the southern U.S. - Mongabay
A conservation group raises an alarm over wood-based ethanol.