The CNET Smart Home is getting smarter every day. On September 16, 2015, we officially launched our living lab for all things connected, but on that day, it was just an empty house. It was big and beautiful from the start, but there was nothing about it that was smart.
That's certainly not true anymore. We've installed 33 different devices over the course of 14 projects, all with the goal of introducing connected tech to the CNET Smart Home one step at a time. Below you'll find each project we've undertaken, and the products we've chosen along the way to help the CNET Smart Home live up to its name.
- We made sure we have good Wi-Fi coverage.
- We went with the Asus RT-AC87U
- We picked a hub.
- We smartened up the lighting, starting with the first floor and the exterior.
- We installed smart thermostats.
- We made the garage smart.
- We took a closer look at voice control.
- We outfitted the whole house with a DIY security system.
- We connected the kitchen.
- We added smart energy monitoring.
- We smartened up our drinking game in time for the holidays.
- We tried to make it simpler for multiple users to interact with the CNET Smart Home.
- We prepped the CNET Smart Home for disaster.
- We used IFTTT to tie together as many of our smart systems as possible.
- We smartened up the kids' room, and connected up our upstairs lighting in the process.
We have more to do, and we will likely revisit some of the above as new products come out. Right now, we can command almost every electronic in our home with our voices, or even from the wall switches by the door. We've found that the desire to make it all work seamlessly can be a lofty one, but that's part of why we're doing this.
We're also using the CNET Smart Home for lots of reviews, installing and uninstalling smart devices frequently to use the place as a lab. This list doesn't include those devices, since they come and go quickly and aren't meant to be permanent fixtures. You can keep up with everything we're doing in the CNET Smart Home here.