Soon after being elected New York City Mayor in 1977, Ed Koch would regularly ask anyone within earshot what became his signature line while in office: How'm I doing? So with the company's fiscal first-quarter earnings now behind it, let's ask the same question about Apple.
Judge for yourself: Here is Apple's fiscal first quarter by the numbers:
- $54.5 billion: Total sales.
- $13.1 billion: Net income.
- 22.9 million iPads. That compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter. However, Apple described supplies of the iPad Mini as "constrained."
- 47.8 million iPhones. In a note he issued last week, Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster said he expected 50 million iPhones. For the purposes of comparison, Apple sold 37.04 million in its first fiscal quarter, a year earlier.
- Average selling prices for iPhone: Essentially the same, year over year.
- 12.7 million iPods. A year ago, Apple sold 15.4 million units.
- 4.1 million Macs. That's down 16 percent from the year earlier quarter, when Apple sold 5.2 million Macs. On the conference call following the release of Apple's earning , CEO Tim Cook said that iMac sales were down 700,000 units, year over year. He noted that any sales comparison needed to account for the several extra sales days that Apple's Mac product line was available during the previous year's quarter.
- iTunes Music Store: $2.1 billion in revenue.
- App Store Over 2 billion downloads during December alone. Now, more than 775,000 apps and half a billion account holders. Apple said there are about 300,000 native iPad apps.
- Retail stores. $6.4 billion in revenue as Apple opened 11 new outlets, including 4 in Greater China, the sales region encompassing China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. (A year ago, Apple had six stores in the region.) CFO Peter Oppenheimer noted that Apple intended to spend "a little under" $1 billion on the stores this year.
- iCloud: 250 million accounts.
- China: Now Apple's second largest region. Revenue in the quarter was $7.3 billion, up over 60 percent year on year.
Apple - USE TAG
reading•Apple Q1: By the numbers
Aug 18•The first 6 things to do when you get an Amazon Echo
Aug 18•iPhone X vs. Google Pixel 2 XL: Which flagship phone is the best?
Aug 18•Apple gets hacked from Australia, and catches flak in Japan and Turkey
Aug 18•OnePlus 6T will launch with T-Mobile, its first US carrier partner