It's a lovely day, and we're excited about what we have in store for you on today's show. First up: if you've ever wanted to fly a lot faster to a faraway locale, you might find hope in a new patent granted to Airbus. They were awarded a patent on an idea for a hypersonic jetliner that's (for all intent and purposes) a suborbital rocket that would ferry passengers at speeds up to Mach 4.5, meaning you could fly about 5,600 miles in 3 hours. If you're worried about sonic booms disturbing the peace, they've got an answer for that, too.
The makers of first-person shooter MMO Destiny announced this week that a character voiced by Peter Dinklage in the original game's release would be entirely replaced by voice actor Nolan North. We understand Destiny's desire to have consistent voiceover for the Ghost character, but it's generally uncommon to see a voiceover performance completely erased by a later actor.
We're also discussing ribbon-dancing robots from Japanese researchers, and an easy, cool DIY way to make your phone a hologram projector.
221: Airbus patents hypersonic, rocket-powered jetliner
Here are some links and notes for all the things on the show today:
- Airbus patent describes a hypersonic jet powered by rockets
- Destiny will replace all of Peter Dinklage's voiceover in new expansion
- Japanese roboticists program a robotic arm to gracefully ribbon dance
- Mod Squad: A simple DIY hologram projector for your smartphone
- User Feedback: Your #TDMyAd feedback, and our Phonetographer of the Day
Of course, you can find us everywhere on social media. Like, follow and heart us as you desire!
Subscribe to Tomorrow Daily: