Court documents concerning the investigation into the loss of a next-generation iPhone have been made public.
In response to arguments made by CNET and other media organizations, a San Mateo judge unsealed documents Friday that provide a detailed glimpse into an April 20 meeting between Apple lawyers and executives, and law enforcement.
Shown is an excerpt from the affidavit prepared by Detective Matthew Broad in the San Mateo County sheriff's office to search the home of Gizmodo editor Jason Chen.
Steve Jobs contacted Gizmodo to ask for prototype back
The affidavit says Apple CEO Steve Jobs contacted Gizmodo editor Brian Lam on April 19, the same day that the gadget blog published a story about the 4G iPhone it likely believed had been lost or stolen.
We've also transcribed this e-mail message from Lam to Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Gizmodo balked at returning the iPhone prototype unless the company provided "confirmation that it is real, from Apple, officially," according to the e-mail message that was also made public.
Apple: Prototype so valuable a price could not be placed on it
During the meeting with law enforcement, Apple attorney George Riley told detectives that the publication by Gizmodo--part of Gawker Media--was immensely damaging. "People that would have otherwise purchased a currently existing Apple product would wait for the next item to be released, thereby hurting overall sales and negatively affecting Apple's earnings," Riley said, according to the affidavit made public Friday.