Yahoo News gets a face-lift to become 'more personal'
New features of the redesign include easier navigation, a customizable content stream, and faster loading of articles.
The Internet company added new features that it believes will deliver a "more personal, intuitive and modern design." That includes a news stream that's customizable to a user's interests and a redesigned iOS app. A new Android design will be hitting devices soon, Yahoo said.
"This new design is one step towards creating a more consistent feel across Yahoo," Mike Kerns, Yahoo vice president of product, said in a blog post.
Kerns noted that Yahoo News will get smarter over time. The more a user accesses the site while signed in with a Yahoo ID, the more the site learns about preferences. That will allow it to create a personal news hub for each individual. And the new News site loads articles faster than before.
News also is more intuitive, he said, and the site is easier to navigate.
The changes are rolling out across the U.S. over the next couple of days.
The redesign comes as Yahoo tries to turn itself around under the leadership of CEO Marissa Mayer. During her time at the helm, Mayer has made several bold moves, such asShe also has led a redesign of Yahoo's and its It's vital for Yahoo to adapt to the changing world to compete with rivals such as Google and remain relevant for users.
Here's what's different with Yahoo News:
- Streamlined new site -- Redesigned site that puts the news users care about front and center, and provides a more modern, intuitive and personalized experience, consistent with the new Yahoo.com.
- Easy navigation -- Easier navigation to premium content like Yahoo News exclusives from Yahoo's editorial team and content from its partner, ABC News.
- Content stream -- Yahoo's intelligent content stream is now available on the new Yahoo! News.
- Cross screen -- An improved design when users visit Yahoo News on iOS devices. Coming soon to Android devices.
- Fast -- Articles now load faster than before.
- Personalized -- A personalized experience that gets smarter the more a person uses Yahoo.