iPad explodes in Vodafone store, forces customers to evacuate -- report

An iPad demo model at a Vodafone store in Australia reportedly "burst" into flames, but no one in the store was injured.

James Martin/CNET

An iPad that was demoed at a Vodafone store in Australia burst into flames, according to a report.

A Vodafone store in Canberra, Australia was running an iPad demo model that caused a "burst of flames" earlier this week, according to a Vodafone spokesperson, speaking to News.com.au in an interview published on Friday. The iPad forced the store to evacuate customers, but no one was injured, according to the spokesperson.

According to News.com.au, after fire fighters entered the building, they discovered that sparks were coming from the iPad's charging port.

It's not clear what version of the iPad burst into flames.

CNET has contacted Apple and Vodafone for comment on the report. We will update this story when we have more information.

Featured Video
This content is rated TV-MA, and is for viewers 18 years or older. Are you of age?
Sorry, you are not old enough to view this content.

Roku 4: Our favorite TV streaming system gets 4K video and a remote locator

Ever lose your remote in the couch cushions? Ever wish you could stream 4K Netflix without having to use your TV's built-in app? Roku's new high-end player, the $129 Roku 4, brings these new extras to its best-in-class streaming ecosystem.

by David Katzmaier