A woman who sued Match.com claiming she was sexually assaulted on a date has settled her lawsuit after seeing proof that the site now screens its members for sexual predators, according to the Associated Press.
Carole Markin hadin April following the reported assault after learning that her date had previously been convicted of sexual battery. Rather than seeking financial damages, Markin's lawsuit asked that Match.com start reviewing its membership for signs of sexual predators.
Shortly after the suit was filed, the dating service announced a new policy whereby it would. An attorney for Match.com confirmed with the AP that the company has since starting screening its members against both state and federal sex offender databases.
"If I save one woman from being attacked, I'm happy," Markin said, according to the AP. "I went into this lawsuit to protect other people, and it worked."
Markin's attacker, Alan Wurtzel, pleaded no contest to assaulting her and could face a year in jail, five years probation, and a lifetime registration as a sex offender following his sentencing on September 19, added the AP.
Responding to a request for comment, a Match.com spokesperson told CNET that there was no settlement on its part, meaning the company itself did not agree to do anything with the plaintiff. "The plaintiff was convinced by the judge to dismiss the case with prejudice," said the spokesperson.
Updated 8:30 a.m. PT with comment from Match.com.