Earlier this week, the iPhone Dev Team released WinPwn 2.0, a tool that allows Windows users to jailbreak iPhone 3G units. However the initial release was affected by an issue that caused the Ipwner component to crash. A new version, 126.96.36.199, has now been released, resolving this and other issues.
Jailbreaking allows full read/write filesystem access and the installation of unofficial third party applications.
Notes accompanying this release:
- You must do a full uninstall of winpwn before installing the new version
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes ( Currently 7.7)
- WinPwn uses 300MB of ram at peak due to the ipsw being extracted in memory
- You must first click browse and load an IPSW to use WinPwn
- For 2.0 only the *5A347_Restore.ipsw files are valid. The 345 image will not work
- If you see "Failed to load image catalog/payload catalog", ignore it
- If you already have service with AT&T do not activate or install Youtube Fix
The new release and usage instructions are available from this download link.