Western Digital unveils 2TB My Book family
Western Digital increases the capacity of its My Book family of external hard drives to 2TB
You may be familiar with Western Digital's My Book family of external hard drives. A popular example is the My Book Essential Edition that offers up to 1TB of storage.
The company announced Wednesday that it has expanded the My Book family of external hard drives to include a 2TB capacity, currently the largest capacity available in a single-drive storage device.
The updated My Book family is compatible with Macs and PCs and comes in four models: My Book Studio Edition, My Book, My Book Home Edition, and My Book Essential Edition.
All these models share the same 2TB capacity and the USB 2.0 connection available in the My Book Essential edition. However, the other models also offer FireWire 400, FireWire 800, and eSATA interfaces for faster data transfer rates. The My Book Home Edition is also equipped with continuous backup software for PC users who need an easy way to back up data.
Common features of the entire family of the new My Book external hard drives include:
- Elegant, small footprint design
- Capacity gauge to see at a glance how much capacity is available on the drive (not available on the My Book Essential Edition drive)
- Environmentally friendly design that saves power by going into standby mode after 10 minutes of inactivity
- SmartPower features that turns the drive on and off with the computer and Safe Shutdown that prevents the drive from being powered down until all the data has been written
- Kensington Security Slot that lets users secure the drive to their desk
Except for the My Book Mac Edition, which is available next month, the rest of the new My Book family is available now at retailers and cost between $329.99 and $379.99, depending on model and capacity.