Weekly Utilities Update: OnyX, Winclone, atMonitor, more...
Many Mac users have installed Windows to secondary partitions using Bootcamp, and in doing so can have important files on both their Mac and Windows partitions. This can make backing up rather cumbersome, especially if you are interested in being able
Written by Topher Kessler
Staff Pick: Winclone
Many Mac users have installed Windows to secondary partitions using Bootcamp, and in doing so can have important files on both their Mac and Windows partitions. This can make backing up rather cumbersome, especially if you are interested in being able to restore your operating systems to a fully functional state. For the Mac OS, a popular way to do this is to use a cloning program on the boot drive, but to do the same on Windows requires booting from Windows.
Winclone is a utility that allows you to easily clone your Bootcamp partition, and thereby back it up. This is done in the Mac OS, so all backups can be managed from one operating system environment and you do not have to worry about setting up backup schemes for both environments and then booting into both to ensure they get backed up. While some versions of Windows will not boot from an external clone, you can easily restore the clone back to an internal drive partition if something goes awry.
Winclone has been updated to version 2.2, which fixes some problems with Windows Vista not starting up after cloning.
The update can be downloaded from the developer's site: http://www.twocanoes.com/winclone/
Other recent utilities updates:
- DMGConverter 5.0.5 - Disk image (DMG, CDR, ISO) creation and conversion tool.
- atMonitor 1.19.0 - System monitor and process explorer utility.
- A Better Finder Attributes 4.35 - Adjust: exif capture date, file dates, attributes, invisible files.
- Winclone 2.2 - Clone your Boot Camp partition from your Mac.
- OnyX 2.0.5b4 - Maintenance, optimization and system personalization tool.
- DaisyDisk 1.3.4 - Visualize disk & free up space by finding & deleting big, useless files.
- CleanMyMac 1.5.2 - Clean up your Mac & free up hard drive space with a few clicks.
- A Better Finder Rename X 8.26 - File, photo, MP3 batch renamer.
- Drive Genius 2.2 - Storage management: maintain, manage, optimize.