Our Weekly Utilities Update report is a list of all the updates for many Mac utilities that have been released in the past week. While utilities can be any tool that helps you perform a routine task (including image manipulation and synchronization), our main focus in this column is to bring you those that help in troubleshooting Mac hardware and software problems.
Weekly Review: TM Error Logger
Time Machine has always been distributed as a behind-the-scenes process that requires very little configuration and user input to run. You just plug in your backup drive, select it for use with Time Machine, and you're off and running. Despite this, there are a number of errors that Time Machine may encounter, which can be tough to find out and overcome given the limited user interaction with the program.
Time Machine Error Logger is a utility that displays errors from the system log for Time Machine, and interfaces with the program to modify a few settings, run Time Machine on demand, and sort through any errors your backups may be encountering. In addition to sorting through errors, you can use the utility to adjust the backup interval to suit your needs.
It's a simple utility, but exceptionally useful for managing Time Machine. The program has been updated to version 2.05, and is available for download from the developer's website: http://carnationsoftware.com/TM_Error_Log_WebPage.html
Other Recent Utilities Updates:
- Chipmunk 1.2.3 - Find duplicate files quickly.
- MacDust 3.16 - Recover disk space & maintain your system.
- AlienDestroyer 3.6.3 - Destroy, shred, erase sensitive data forever.
- OnyX 2.1b4 - Maintenance, optimization and system personalization tool.
- X Resource Graph 1.5.3 - (XRG) System resource monitor.
- iRemove .DS_Store files 1.5 - Deletes the invisible .DS_Store files on all mounted disks.
- TM Error Logger 2.05 - Time Machine error reporting app.
- A Better Finder Attributes 4.43 - Change EXIF timestamp, file dates and other attributes.
- SuperDuper 2.6.2 - Backup, clone, and restore your information.
- Cocktail 4.5.2 - (Snow Leopard Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.
- PacketStream 3.0 - Network monitoring tool.
- dupeGuru 2.8.2 - Find duplicate files on your computer and get rid of them.
- IPNetMonitorX 2.5c4 - Monitor & troubleshoot net connections.
- DarkAdapted 2.3.7b1 - Astronomy tool adjusts gamma to preserve dark adaptation.
- SMARTReporter 2.4.1 - Warns of ATA drive failure before it happens.
Keep in mind that while utilities can help in a vast majority of cases, as with any software, they can be buggy. Since these utilities were recently updated, these are actively being developed and are currently assumed to work. However, developers cannot take into account all system configurations, so be sure to back up your system before running any utilities for the first time. Additionally, double-check with the developer's Web site to be sure they are compatible with your system version. Incompatibilities with system software are the main reason why utilities and programs function improperly.