Staff Pick: ClamXav
There used to be a time when Mac owners could laud the platform's lack of viruses and trojans. These days, however, Mac users are seeing more and more exploits and other malware being developed, and as such keeping ahead of the malware developers is a must.
In past articles covering trojans and other exploits, we have recommended Mac users install various antivirus and other malware detectors, and one well known one is ClamXav, which is an antivirus program based around the popular open-source ClamAV antivirus engine. Unlike many other antivirus packages, ClamXav is fairly simple and is not known to have incompatibilities and problems with other software you may have installed. Whether worried about Mac viruses and trojans or Windows malware, ClamXav is a program to check out.
The program has recently been updated to version 1.1.1e951, and can be downloaded from the ClamXav website.
Other Recent Utilities Updates:
- DMGConverter 5.0.4 - Disk image (DMG, CDR, ISO) creation and conversion tool.
- DarkAdapted 2.3.5fc3 - Astronomy tool adjusts gamma to preserve dark adaptation.
- FoxTrot 2.0.4 - Advanced find-by-content for your data.
- MacScan 2.6.1 - Detects and removes spyware, blacklist cookie scanner, history.
- MacCleanse 1.4.2 - Scan and delete unnecessary files on your Mac.
- BackupLoupe 1.0 - Browse Time Machine backups & find frequently copied items.
- IPNetMonitorX 2.4c3 - Monitor & troubleshoot net connections.
- CheckUp 2.2 - Check your memory and disks. Monitor the health of your Mac.
- Little Snitch 2.1.3 - Informs you when an app tries to establish an outgoing Internet connection.
- Path Finder 5.1.3 - Browse and manage files on your Mac.