Staff Pick: VirtualBox
There are several well-known solutions for running Windows and other operating systems on your Mac. For optimal performance Apple provides the Bootcamp partitioning and multiboot functionality, but for those who wish to run their Mac software at the same time there are virtualization solutions. Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion are the leading software packages for this, but Sun Microsystems has been developing a free alternative called VirtualBox that performs very well and has many of the same features as VMware's "Unity".
If you are looking for a virtualization solution and don't want to pay for it, we recommend you give VirtualBox a try. The software has just been updated to version 2.2.4, and can be downloaded at Sun's VirtualBox website: http://www.virtualbox.org/
Other Recent Utilities Updates
- IP Address Menu 5.2 - Display IP in menu bar, notify of change by email.
- SwitchResX 3.8.7 - Custom resolutions, desktop icon position saving & more.
- App_Pauser 2.0 - Pause and resume running apps & processes based on current cpu needs.
- Mac Restart X 1.3 - Restarts your Mac at a specified schedule or time or via web.
- Brightness 1.1.2 - Menu bar extra to control display brightness.
- BackupLoupe 1.1.1 - Browse Time Machine backups & find frequently copied items.
- Script Debugger 4.5.3b6 - Complete replacement for Apple's Script Editor.
- Apple Server Admin Tools 10.5.7 - Remote administration tools, documentation, utilities.
- Leopard Cache Cleaner 4.0.25 - System maintenance, optimization, antivirus.
- IPNetMonitorX 2.4 - Monitor & troubleshoot net connections.
- A Better Finder Rename X 8.20 - File, photo, MP3 batch renamer.
- IPNetRouterX 1.4 - Router, firewall, and network management.
- IPNetSentryX 1.7 - Watches for & blocks suspicious network behavior.