Weekly Utilities Update: atMonitor, LeopardAssist, Pacifist, more...
Leopard's system requirements call for at least an 867MHz PowerPC G4 processor. If this requirment is not met, Leopard will not install on your system. While this is Apple's way of ensuring all features of Leopard run in usable ways, it does cut out a
Written by Topher Kessler
Staff Pick: LeopardAssist
Leopard's system requirements call for at least an 867MHz PowerPC G4 processor. If this requirment is not met, Leopard will not install on your system. While this is Apple's way of ensuring all features of Leopard run in usable ways, it does cut out a number of older and slower computers that will run most aspects of the operating system just fine.
LeopardAssist will fake an artificial 933MHz machine to the installer files, allowing Leopard to be installed on the machine. This is handy because it does not change any settings that could adversely affect the machine's performance, and does not alter any installation files.
The latest version (2.3.3) lifts the faked CPU speed to 933MHz to give ample headroom, and fixes a number of minor bugs. It can be downloaded from the developer's site: http://mac.profusehost.net/leopardassist/
Other Recent Utility Updates:
- atMonitor 1.60.0 - System monitor & process explorer tool for developers & power users alike.
- NameFind 3.0 - Front-end for the Unix find command.
- DeepSleep Widget 1.1.1 - Hibernate your Mac to sleep without draining power.
- ThermoInDock 0.99 - Displays graphs of the internal thermal sensors.
- LeopardAssist 2.3.3 - Install OS X Leopard on sub-867 MHz G4 Macs.
- Print Therapy 6.0.6 LE - (Leopard) repair printing system problems.
- Cocktail 4.4.1 - (Leopard Edition) general purpose system modify/repair utility.
- A Better Finder Rename X 8.27 - File, photo, MP3 batch renamer.
- A Better Finder Attributes 4.36 - Adjust: exif capture date, file dates, attributes, invisible files.
- NTI Dragon Burn 22.214.171.124 - CD and DVD burning software.
- Little Disc 2.1.0 - Convert, make & split disc images or create & unpack file archives.
- Zipeg 126.96.36.1997 - ZIP, RAR archive browser & extractor.
- Pacifist 2.6 - Extract individual files out of installer packages.