Verizon to release firmware update for BlackBerry Storm?
A number of reports say that Verizon Wireless will release a firmware update for the RIM BlackBerry Storm to fix a number of bugs.
We're not really sure why
According to PC World, Verizon is set to release an over-the-air firmware update to BlackBerry Storm users over the next couple of weeks. Version 184.108.40.206 fixes a number of issues and adds some new features. In all, there are over 30 bug fixes and about a dozen improvements. We won't list them all here (check out Wireless and Mobile News for a comprehensive list) but highlights include:
- A full QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode and not just landscape mode
- The addition of a Phone icon to the home screen
- Reduced waiting time for MP3 playback
- Added "Go" button next to address and search fields in browser
- Fixes bug that showed multicolored dots on screen
- Fixes bug that didn't show notifications for incoming text messages
- The ability to rename file extensions on music playlists
This will be the first firmware update for the Storm since December 2008, when Verizon rolled out version 220.127.116.11. And while version 18.104.22.168 is available from a number of sites, we'd recommend waiting for the official release. We've contacted Verizon to see if we can get a more specific date and will update this post as soon as we have any information.
(Via Engadget Mobile)