Underexposed blog: Links of the day
D300 firmware update...SmugMug privacy changes...Lightroom tutorials...Nikon price cuts for old SLRs...Olympus E-430 rumor...Golden parachute for Adobe CEO.
- Olympus E-430 rumor: Photography Bay - "Rumors and photos of an alleged Olympus E-430 have surfaced on the web." If true, the wacky, swoopy design breaks new ground for an SLR.
- Nikon D300 firmware 1.02 fixes rare issue - Nikon says this addresses a problem that "in rare cases, caused vertical bands (lines) to appear in images captured at shutter speeds slower than 8 seconds."
- Corbis makes marketing push for its microstock site SnapVillage | about the image - Corbis says it will now start to "aggressively target customers, including introducing its first advertisements, launching direct marketing activities and expanding its search engine marketing."
- Nikon Canada cuts price on D40, D80, D200, 80-400mm F/4-5.6 lens - Lower prices on the old SLRs.
- Big privacy changes at SmugMug - Don MacAskill - SmugMug responds to privacy concerns. "Your new galleries, photos, and videos are more private, and secure, than ever before."
- Sigma issues firmware update for SD14: Digital Photography Review - "Sigma has released firmware v.1.06 for its SD14 Digital SLR. The update improves the accuracy of the custom white balance and the review image quality on the LCD and includes another couple of minor modifications"
- A wealth of Lightroom tutorials - John Nack - "Digital photography experts Rob Sheppard and Tim Grey have created a wide range of Lightroom tutorials for the Adobe Design Center." There are also lots of third-party tutorials.
- Legal Primer for Open Source and Free Software - Software Freedom Law Center - How programmers can deal with the legal system "with a minimum of cost, fuss and risk...a starting point for lawyers and risk managers for thinking about the particular, at times counter-intuitive, logic of software freedom." V1.5 copyright (!) SFLC.
- The return of the Yashica brand with new digital cameras - 1001 Noisy Cameras - "Four new Yashica-branded digital cameras to go on sale in the U.K. around March 1, 2008"
- Unphotographable: a text account of pictures missed - "This is a picture I did not take of..."
- Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen's lavish severance package - Along with stock and other benefits, "a cash payment in an amount equal to the product of (i) the sum of his salary and target bonus, multiplied by (ii) 2 plus 1/12th for each year of completed service with Adobe (not in excess of 12)."
- Naked Light beta 2.1 - New rev of a Mac OS X graphics app. "This release is more focused on bug fixes, but also features some speed ups and an unfortunate speed regression (one speedup is still too buggy to be used)."