- Apple crippled DTrace: Sun DTrace cocreator Adam Leventhal -- Dampened delight that Apple ported Sun Microsystems' DTrace from Solaris to Mac OS X. It's blocking DTrace from probing processes which exempt themselves. "This is antithetical to the notion of systemic tracing, antithetical to the goals of DTrace, and antithetical to the spirit of open source."
- A gripe about Adobe Lightroom documentation -- I've introduced a few folks to Lightroom, and I agree the state of documentation and tutorials is chaotic, in part because Adobe revved the software so often. Better than no updates, though. I also sympathize with the paralysis of hierarchy, DNG, etc.
- John Nack: Community-powered Lightroom help goes live -- Don't like Lightroom documentation? Fix it yourself with this quasi-open-source documentation effort.
- Free noise reduction plug-in for the GIMP | Photodoto -- John Watson likes this free noise-reduction filter for the GIMP.
- Harold Davis lurves his Nikon D300 -- "This is the first digital single lens reflex that I've used that approaches what a dSLR should be, and maybe even the Platonic ideal of a dSLR." Likes 14-bit raw, low noise.
- Nikon D3 Review Diary -- Nice shots comparing D3 performance at various ISO settings.
- David Pogue's SLR turned away at the door -- Pogue can't get his Nikon D80 into a motocross event. A harbinger of trouble. This goes hand in hand with all the issues about who owns broadcast rights--including text-messaging an update to your pal--of NBA games.
- Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form -- Lightroom's feature request form.
- Getty Images up for sale, could fetch $1.5 billion - The New York Times -- Getty on the block? Hello private equity.
- Pentax K20D Sample Images | Photography Bay -- More rumors of Pentax K20D and K200D
- Photoshop Insider » What I'd Love to See in Lightroom 2.0 -- A Photoshop guru's Lightroom wish list. Wedding album export templates, networking, tethered shooting are among his desired pro features.
- A developer of Windows on cruft in the Registry -- This is my single biggest beef about Microsoft Windows. Pathetic that insider advice is "don't try out new software." One reason I use virtual machines is to try out new software. What a sorry state of affairs.
- GPS Tracklog: Garmin Colorado 300 in stock -- A new line of outdoor-oriented GPS units from Garmin. Not cheap.
- FormatMessageW Error in Lightroom Export Plug-ins -- Some good sleuthing on why Jeffrey Friedl's Lightroom Flickr Export plug-in can break on Windows. I have this problem often. Looks to be a timeout-related problem.
- Bibble 4.9 Pro raw conversion software review -- A review of Bibble's latest software. "If you're neither working with RAWs or processing lots of images, Bibble may not be (right), but for if you're looking for lots of speed and some of the sharpest results around, there's nothing better at this price."
- Corel PhotoImpact X3 Announced -- An upgrade to a consumer-level photo-editing package.
Looking for an affordable tablet?
CNET rounds up high-quality tablets that won't break your wallet.