Underexposed blog: Links of the day
Flickr phishing victim...Plug-ins for Lightroom plug-ins...An infrared/visible/ultraviolet lens...Copyright conundrums...Intel wants people to test open-source graphics driver.
- Picasa Web Albums Uploader for BlackBerry--Upload to Picasa Web Albums from a BlackBerry smartphone. Bonus: automatic geotagging if your BlackBerry supports it.
- Jeffrey Friedl offers "Piglets": Plug-ins for Lightroom Plug-ins--This time, Friedl has built Tim Armes' LR/Mogrify export plug-in so it can be used as a subcomponent of Friedl's Flickr/Zenfolio/SmugMug/Picasa export plug-in. First time I've seen the word "fourth-party" used in a while. World's longest dialog box too.
- ImageReporter: Extract data from Lightroom database--Analysis tool for extracting information from the metadata stored in Lightroom's catalog. It's a free download.
- 5,000 Flickr photos lost to a phishing scam--This fellow lost his Flickr identity to a phishing scam that meant all his photos, comments, and online conversations were deleted. "How does one download all the metadata? Flickr should have an export feature that creates a .flk file on your PC." I don't think it's as clear as that.
- BreezeBrowser Pro supports 1Ds Mark III, D3, D300, E-3, A700--Raw files from the latest SLRs are now supported. That includes Canon's 1Ds Mark III, Nikon's D3 and D300, Olympus' E-3, and Sony's Alpha A700.
- CoastalOpt 60mm UV-VIS-IR 1:4 Apo Macro lens--Transmits ultraviolet and near-infrared light with no chromatic aberration. "The 60mm UV-VIS-IR 1:4 Apo Macro lens achieves unprecedented correction...by combining fluorite and quartz with elements made from carefully selected high-transmission glasses."
- State of the Art: Marilyn Wars:The Empire Strikes Back--Who's allowed to sell images of Marilyn Monroe? Copyright vs. rights of publicity.
- Thomas Hawk: Copyright Schmopyright--Provocative words from a compulsive (and good, in my opinion) photographer. "Fair use? Who the hell cares. The images need to be captured. And they need to be presented to the world in new and exciting and fun ways."
- Paleo-Future: Bearded Men of the 21st Century (1939)--Dang, and here I just shaved my beard off. I guess I just am too cowed by authority and missed the revolt.
- Rusty Russell gripes about git--A Linux kernel programmer ascends the learning curve of Git, the source code management system Linus Torvalds wrote to manage the kernel programming project.
- Call for community testers for Intel driver--Intel wants outside help testing its open-source graphics drivers. The "Intel team is not able to cover all hardware configurations, hence not able to reproduce or verify some bugs." Sign up at Intellinuxgraphics.org
- Havoc Pennington leaving Red Hat--A longtime coder is departing, but he's not saying yet what his new gig is.
- Intel 965 chipset blacklisted in Ubuntu 8.4 Hardy Heron--Programmers couldn't get good 3D support out of the new Intel graphics chipset.
- Ohloh Goes Open Source--An open-source command line tool to identify the language a program is written in and count how many lines it's made of. It's under the General Public License version 2 (GPLv2).