- Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 for Mac to ship in second quarter 2008 - Adobe previously said "early 2008," (http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9783661-39.html) but now it's second quarter. Not a big deal since Mac folks get iPhoto. Why bother offering pre-order months early? Answer: to make it not look like a delay.
- More Canon 5D Mark II Rumors | Photography Bay - Some guy's Canon rep said to expect an announcement of the new low-end full-frame camera at PMA (which starts January 31, but Canon's announcement looks like January 24).
- Tighter intellectual property restirctions at iStockphoto.com - iStockphoto is tightening restrictions on permissible photos; Previously, no face, no model release required. Now, if subject could recognize him- or herself, needs a release. Also out: recognizable cars, cruise ships.
- SimCity Source Code under GPL - The original SimCity is now under GPL, called Micropolis for legal reasons and refurbished somewhat.
- Mainframe: Will Microsoft Windows be next on System z? - Back in the 1994, IBM figured out how to boot Windows on a mainframe, but legal machinations between IBM, Microsoft, and Bristol Technologies killed it. "We'll never see a day when Windows will run natively on the mainframe."
- The Online Photographer: The Arc of a Forum Exchange - An amusing parody of a typical forum. Look for the hidden original definition (now probably obsolete mostly) of a prime lens.
- Peachpit: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Resource Center - A big collection of book chapter excerpts, videos, and other useful Lightroom training material.
- Holy moly--Nikon D3 SLRs spotted on the NFL sidelines - Canon has such a lock on pro sports photography that it's news even if just a handful of Nikons are in use.
- Shortcuts You Must Memorize - Inside Lightroom - I agree--this is a great list of very useful Lightroom keyboard shortcuts.
- PDF: Now an ISO Standard - Let's hope this will make "export to PDF" more common. It really is a useful format, despite its hassles and annoyances.
Saving your life at speed and in style
Volvo have been responsible for some of the greatest advancements in car safety. We list off the top ways they've kept you safe today, even if you don't drive one.