Underexposed blog: Links of the day
Lightroom update fixes Nikon, Olympus problems...early looks at Nikon D3 and Canon 1Ds Mark III...Flash 9 brings H.264 to Linux...and is photography dead?
Here's some of the backlog from a virus-induced hiatus that knocked me out for a couple days.
- PhotoAcute Studio. Leading super-resolution technology for better photos. PhotoAcute's product description: "It increases image resolution, removes noise without losing image details, corrects image geometry and chromatic aberrations and expands the dynamic range."
- PhotoAcute Review. Uwe Steinmuller's testing of super-resolution software that combines multiple images into one.
- Lightroom Journal: Lightroom 1.3.1 and Camera Raw 4.3.1. Lightroom update fixes Nikon D100 and Olympus E-3 compatibility problems, tweaks SKD's FTP export module.
- New Lightroom Galleries--O'Reilly Digital Media Blog. More options cropping up for Lightroom gallery exporting. Not for the faint of heart, yet.
- Hands On: Nikon D3--PopPhoto November 2007. PopPhoto likes the D3 in this first look. No quantified results, but they love high-ISO performance.
- Peachpit Press: Photoshop with Matt Kloskowski videos. A bunch of video tutorials on Photoshop and Lightroom from Matt Kloskowski (education director for National Association of Photoshop Professionals) and Peachpit Press.
- [Phoronix] New Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux Release. Adobe's latest Flash update covers Linux, too. (H.264 and AAC codecs added to Flash for better multimedia.)
- Is Photography Dead? | Newsweek. A lament that Photoshop is killing photography by detaching it from reality and making it into an exercise of imagination.
- 6 Flickr Horror Stories--from Geekpreneur. Some unpleasant stories from Flickr users.
- Canon 1Ds Mark III Review--Phil Holland--phfx.com. A detailed look at a new 1Ds Mark III. Raw files are 21MB to 36MB. Resolution not huge step up from 1Ds Mark II, but high-ISO noise better. Downloadable CR2 samples to play with. "Overall I'm very impressed by the image quality."
- DCRP Review: Sony Alpha DSLR-A700. Another favorable review of Sony's second SLR, the "advanced amateur" model. Another ding at the lack of live view. Nobody likes live view much on SLRs, but the consensus seems to be that it's useful for macro, studio, underwater, so flawed is better than nothing.
- SlideShowPro for Lightroom: Web engine for publishing Lightroom content. A Lightroom gallery extension now for sale.
- Gray area with "non-commercial" Creative Commons license. An articulate posting from earlier this year on problems with defining "non-commercial" in Creative Commons licenses.
- YouTube--Here Comes Another Bubble--The Richter Scales. Clever and funny Bubble 2.0 video. Warning: must be raised on MTV fast-cut video to process both words and images in real time.
- Thom Hogan's judgment on Nikon D300. Nikon author Thom Hogan urges people not to rush to judge the D300, D3, etc. Also, a tidbit on the signal-to-noise ratio he's getting with a D300.