Thin LG LED-based LCD gives 'basic' dimming
LG's LE7500 series of edge-lit LED-based LCD TVs provides a more basic version of local dimming.
"LED" means "thin and more expensive" to most TV shoppers, but that's not the whole story. LG, for example, offers three distinct varieties of LED backlighting among the models it announced at CES 2010, and the LE7500 series occupies the middle range of "expensive." This set is edge-lit, meaning the LED elements are arranged along the edge of the panel and shine toward the middle. Judging from the edge-lit models we reviewed last year, , the arrangement necessitates some trade-offs in picture quality for the privilege of being thin.
Unlike those older Samsung sets, however, the LE7500 series incorporates what LG describes as "basic" local dimming. In this model there are 16 separately dimmable segments (regardless of screen size). Perhaps basic dimming will improve picture quality somewhat over standard edge-lighting, but we'll have to wait till we can test one to find out.
This TV also incorporates the company's Netcast suite of interactive features, first seen on the
Speaking of wireless options, all Netcast LG sets in 2010 can also work with an optional "Wireless Media Hub." When you connect your external sources, such as a Blu-ray player or a cable box, to the hub, it can send the signals to a special receiver wirelessly, which then connects to the TV. LG says the system has enough bandwidth for full 1080p and a range up to 98 feet. The hub and receiver are sold separately as a package, which we're told will retail for an estimated $399.
LG LE7500 series features:
- Edge-lit LED backlight with "basic" local dimming
- 120Hz refresh rate
- Netcast Interactive feature suite with Netflix, Vudu, Skype, Napster, YouTube, DivX, AccuWeather, and Yahoo Widgets
- DLNA compatible for music, photos, and video
- Optional "Wireless Media Hub" interface
- Optional Wi-Fi connection
LG LE7500 series models:
- LG 55LE7500: 55-inch, price TBD, availability March 2010
- LG 47LE7500: 47-inch, price TBD, availability March 2010
- LG 42LE7500: 42-inch, price TBD, availability March 2010