Tech worker dies in vat of sulfuric acid

An 18-year-old worker at a circuit board factory in Redwood City, Calif., apparently passed out over a vat of acid, fell in and died.

A worker at a circuit board factory in Redwood City, Calif., was found dead in a waist-high vat of sulfuric acid over the weekend.

Even more disturbing, the man's body was discovered by his father.

If this hadn't been reported by respectable news agencies, it would have "urban myth" or "bad mafia movie" written all over it.

The news, however, was reported early Sunday by the San Mateo Daily Journal and later expanded by the San Jose Mercury News.

According to the Mercury News, Fernando Jimenez Gonzalez, 18, was working at the Coastal Circuits factory when he apparently passed out from fumes as he dipped circuit boards into a tank for acid copper plating.

When Gonzalez didn't return home from his shift, his father went to search for him. Gonzalez's body was discovered around 2 a.m. Sunday.

A company executive, interviewed by the Mercury News, declined to comment on why police believe Gonzalez wasn't wearing protective gear.

The plant is now closed, according to the Mercury News, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating.

 

Join the discussion

Conversation powered by Livefyre

Don't Miss
Hot Products
Trending on CNET

HOT ON CNET

Mac running slow?

Boost your computer with these five useful tips that will clean up the clutter.