Standalone smartwatch among Samsung's latest secrets
Reports indicate Samsung is cooking up a wide range of new products, including a smartwatch, virtual reality headset, and a rival to Google Glass. CNET's Bridget Carey looks into seven of Samsung's secret projects making headlines.
CNET Update can't keep a secret:
Today's episode rounds up seven of Samsung's "secret" projects:
- Samsung is reportedly working on a new smartwatch that uses its own SIM card. That means it doesn't need to be paired with a smartphone. It could be revealed in just a few months.
- We may soon see a virtual reality headset by Samsung that could rival the Oculus Rift and Sony's Project Morpheus.
- Samsung seems to be tinkering with a similar product to Google Glass. With patents for eyewear and a trademark for "Gear Blink," all signs point to a new headpiece.
- What if Samsung's Glass-rival had a virtual keyboard? The Guardian reports on a patent that beams the image of a keyboard on your hands. (The world may not be ready for that. But Google also has a similar idea.)
- A new Galaxy Tab tablet could be unveiled June 12 during a "Tab Into Color" event in New York City.
- An updated version of the Galaxy S5 smartphone could be the Galaxy S5 Prime. Reports say it would have fast download speeds, but it may only be for Korea.
- Another Galaxy S5 spin-off that we may see soon is the Galaxy S5 Active. The sporty sister shown off by TK Tech News is said to have an extra button that can be programed to open an app or perform different functions.
CNET Update delivers the tech news you need in under three minutes. Watch Bridget Carey every afternoon for a breakdown of the big stories, hot devices, new apps, and what's ahead. Subscribe to the podcast via the links below.