Samsung: Galaxy S III won't be unveiled at Mobile World Congress
The company says in a statement that it plans to show off the new device in a separate event during the first half of 2012.
Samsung smartphone fans hoping to catch a glimpse of the next Galaxy S will need to wait a bit longer.
Despite rumors suggesting the company would be unveiling the Galaxy S III at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona this month, Samsung confirmed today in a statement to The Verge that it has decided to wait to announce the handset.
"The successor to the Galaxy S II smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product," Samsung told The Verge in a statement.
Samsung's decision to not unveil the next Galaxy S at Mobile World Congress is somewhat surprising. The last two versions of the smartphone were unveiled at the major mobile event, and all signs pointed to the company following suit this year.
Although Samsung has been tight-lipped on the Galaxy S III's features, Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). But as with any other rumor, take all that with a grain of salt, since Samsung hasn't delivered a single detail on the device just yet.. Just last week, rumors cropped up, suggesting the device's versions would come in dual- and quad-core flavors and boast as 12-megapixel camera. The devices are also expected to support
Regardless, Samsung has confirmed that it will be showing off other devices at the Mobile World Congress. And as one might expect, CNET will have the full coverage of that--and every other device on display at the event--when it kicks off February 27.
Samsung did not immediately respond to CNET's request for comment on the Galaxy S III.