At an event in Manhattan Monday, Samsung unveiled its new Jet smartphone, which features a fast 800MHz processor and Samsung's proprietary OS that includes its Dolphin Web browser. Alas, the Jet won't be flying into the U.S. anytime soon, though its designation as a UTMS phone leaves AT&T as its most probable destination if it does hit these shores. All that said, it is available for the rest of the world later this year.
Unlike the, which was also announced at the event, Samsung did have the Jet on hand for reporters to play with. Several remarked that the touch screen seemed quite responsive despite being resisitive. But there was some disappointment that the phone didn't seem even zippier with that 800MHz processor (until now, smartphone processors have tended to top out at 600MHz). However, Samsung reps said the software wasn't final and was still being tweaked. (It was also impossible to test the Dolphin browser because there was no network connection).
All in all, the look and feel of the Jet was appealing. It's smaller than the iPhone and is more on par with the size of the Palm Pre. However, we're just not sure how appealing a proprietary OS is at this point when you have an open OS like Android sitting out there.
Here are the Jet's specs:
- Network: EDGE/GPRS Class 12 (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz); HSDPA 3.6Mbps (900, 2100MHz)
- 3.1-inch 16M WVGA AMOLED display
- 5.0-megapixel AF camera with face detection, Smile Shot, panorama shot, blink detection, geo-tagging, and photo editor
- 30fps video recording with video editor
- Supports playback of MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, DivX, XviD
- Music player with DNSe and SRS WOW Sound Effect
- FM radio/recording
- Supports audio playback of MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR, MIDI, SP-MIDI,i-melody, WAV, MMF, XMF, OMA DRM v2.1, WMDRM
- In-house-developed Dolfin browser
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
- Share Pix & Mobile Widget
- A-GPS, on-board navigation (3D map)
- TouchWiz 2.0 interface with Motion UI, Media Gate 3D, Multi-tasking Manager
- Bluetooth v2.1
- Memory: 2GB or 8GB, plus External MicroSD slot (up to 16GB)
- Talk time: 2G/492 minutes, 3G/300 minutes
- Standby time: 2G/422 hours, 3G/406 hours
- Dimensions: 4.3 inches by 2.1 inches by .47 inches (HWD)