Samsung announces flagship local-dimming LED-backlit LCDs
Samsung announced today its flagship line of LED-backlit LCDs, the UNB8500 series, which uses local-dimming technology and starts at $3,600 for the 46-inch model.
We've reviewed a few edge-lit LED-backlit LCDs from Samsung this year, but what home theater fans have really been waiting for is an update to last year's , which uses local-dimming LED technology. The wait is over: Samsung announced on Thursday its flagship line of LED-backlit LCDs, the UNB8500 series, which uses local-dimming like last year's 950 series. Considering that we wrote last year's 950 series was "the peak of flat-panel LCD TV performance and picture quality," these will be highly anticipated TVs--but you'll pay a pretty penny for their state of the art, with prices starting at $3,600 for the 46-inch model. Let's check out the specs.
Key features of the Samsung UNB8500 series:
- 1920x1080 (1080p) native resolution
- Local-dimming LED backlighting
- Auto Motion Plus frame interpolation with separate blur and judder adjustments (as seen on the )
- Ultra Clear Panel, designed to reduce reflections
- Four HDMI inputs
- Two USB inputs
- One Ethernet connection
- One PC input
- internet content
- 46-inch UN46B8500: $3,600 | 55-inch UN55B8500: $4,500
- Available in September