Reporters' Roundtable: Looking at display technologies
How long before we can paint a display on our walls? Is Apple's Retina Display really at the limits of human perception? These and other display issues addressed with CNET's Eric Franklin and DisplayMate CEO Ray Soneira.
How long before we can paint a display on our walls? Is Apple's Retina Display really at the limits of human perception? And what's up with those Sharp four-color TVs? These and other display issues get addressed in this episode with CNET's Eric Franklin and DisplayMate CEO Ray Soneira.
Show notes and talking points
- Plasma. Why isn't plasma dead?
- Power consumption of displays
- Four-color Sharp display: discuss
- OLED monitors coming soon? Or just mobile?
- Other myths: How important is refresh rate?
- Image processing: how important?
- E-ink developments
- The "Retina Display"
- Where's my display-in-a-paint-can?
Things we didn't get to:; 3D displays.
Links from Ray Soneira:
- Sharp Quattron is a marketing gimmick and actually decreases picture quality
- iPhone has a great display but is not a true Retina Display
- BrightnessGate - Brightness and power mismanagement for Smartphones (wastes battery) and HDTVs (wastes oil)
- Super LCD versus Super OLED
- Display myths shattered: How manufacturers cook their specs
- High refresh rates don't reduce the response time or motion blur
- LCD versus plasma shoot-out