CNET Update takes the sting out of it:
In this episode of Update:
- Pay $20 more for Amazon Prime starting on April 17. At $99, it still is a good deal, if you use the perks of free shipping, video streaming and Kindle book rentals. If you only care about the service to save on shipping, look back on how much you spent last year to see if Prime is worth it. Amazon says standard shipping for most items is around $4 to $5.
- Avoid the price-hike pain for one more year by gifting yourself Prime, and "deliver" the gift when your current membership expires. (Just make sure to turn off auto-renewal!) Paying ahead of time will save you $20.
- Save money on the cheaper Office 365 Personal to take the sting out of a pricier Prime.
- Spend less for online storage with discounted Google Drive prices. (Starts at $2 for 100 gigs.)
- Get your money back for itchy Fitbit Force wristbands. More than 10,000 users complained of developing allergic reactions and skin irritation from the strap.
CNET Update delivers the tech news you need in under three minutes. Watch Bridget Carey every afternoon for a breakdown of the big stories, hot devices, new apps, and what's ahead. Subscribe to the podcast via the links below.