Open computer case plus sweaty legs--not a good idea

The widely read Shanghai Daily from China is reporting that a 20-year-old computer user was electrocuted earlier this week by his own machine in a freak accident.

We're never sure whether to believe some of the bizarre tales we hear coming out of China, (like the semi-regular stories about gamers dropping dead after marathon MMO sessions), but the widely read Shanghai Daily is reporting that a 20-year-old computer user was electrocuted earlier this week by his own machine in a freak accident. From the report:

The young man, who was identified as Wu, reportedly opened the external casing of the computer's CPU to prevent it from overheating because he didn't want to switch on the air conditioner in his home. According to the report, his sweaty legs came into contact with the computer's wiring, which might have caused a short circuit. The computer's internal voltage is as high as 380 volts, enough to give a deadly shock.

About the author

Dan Ackerman leads CNET's coverage of laptops, desktops, and Windows tablets, while also writing about games, gadgets, and other topics. A former radio DJ and member of Mensa, he's written about music and technology for more than 15 years, appearing in publications including Spin, Blender, and Men's Journal.

 

Join the discussion

Conversation powered by Livefyre

Show Comments Hide Comments
Latest Galleries from CNET
Uber's tumultuous ups and downs in 2014 (pictures)
The best and worst quotes of 2014 (pictures)
A roomy range from LG (pictures)
This plain GE range has all of the essentials (pictures)
Sony's 'Interview' heard 'round the world (pictures)
Google Lunar XPrize: Testing Astrobotic's rover on the rocks (pictures)