Onkyo's home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems have a reputation for stellar sound quality, and they get that done with big, powerful speakers that aren't found on many competing systems. The company's latest two HTIBs, the HT-S6300 and HT-S7300, look like incremental updates to, with 3D pass-through being the major addition. Here's a quick rundown of the important specs.
Key features of the Onkyo HT-S6300:
- Four HDMI 1.4a inputs
- 3D pass-through capability
- 1080p analog upconversion
- Audyssey 2EQ automatic speaker calibration
- 290-watt subwoofer
- Onkyo UP-A1 iPod dock included
- $750 list price; currently available
Key step-up features of the Onkyo HT-S7300:
- Large, tower-style front speakers
- $900 list price; currently available
Of course we'll need to do a full hands-on review before we pass judgment on these systems, but we generally find that Onkyo HTIBs offer up an outstanding mix of sound quality and features, if you're willing to put up with the largish speakers and AV receiver. You'll also have to be willing to pay a premium for its perks.offer built-in Blu-ray for as little as $420, although they're not nearly as flexible or powerful as these Onkyo systems.