Users continue to report issues with installing Office 2008 12.1.2. MacFixIt reader David Badovinac has discovered a somewhat kludgy fix, as follows:
- Download the standalone Office 2008 12.1.2 updater
- Mount the disk image then control-click the updater file and select "Show Package Contents"
- Navigate to Contents -> Resources
- Open the script "package_updatable" with TextEdit or another plain text editor.
- Remove these lines:
- if not found_valid_version:
- Save the file then close it and reattempt the update.
We've also discovered that if users have stripped the Microsoft Office universal binaries of their PowerPC code with a tool like Monolingual, the 12.1.2 update may not install. In this situation, users need to reinstall the Office suite from original media then reattempt the update.
Word bugs Meanwhile, some users are reporting random, minor bugs in Word 2008 after the update. One reader writes:
"Since applying the new update to Office 2008, Word will no longer count words correctly when you check the 'Include footnotes and endnotes' option."