Nvidia unveils new professional graphics card
Nvidia introduces the Quadro FX 5800 graphics card that's arguably the most power professional card on Earth.
The Quadro FX 5800 is arguably the most powerful professional graphics card in the world...for now. Unfortunately, it's not a gaming card.
The new card works best for professionals searching for oil, diagnosing illness, or styling the next high-performance luxury vehicle, or anyone with the need for advanced visual-computing solutions.
The Quadro FX 5800 has 240 CUDA programmable parallel cores and features 4GB of graphics RAM. (To put this in perspective, a Windows 32-bit computer, like most computers out there, can address just a little more than 3.5GB of RAM). All this results in unprecedented performance and scalability. The Quadro FX 5800 is now able to visualize and interpret massive datasets that until now were unattainable on a workstation graphics board.
Other advanced features of the card include:
- Interactive 4D modeling with time lapse capabilities
- Massive memory bandwidth of up to 102GB per second
- Fill rates that exceed 52 billion texels per second and geometry performance of 300 million triangles per second
- Support for next-generation OpenGL and Microsoft DirectX 10 applications
- Advanced multisystem and multidevice visualization environments with Quadro G-Sync II
With great power comes great...price. The new Quadro FX 5800 is estimated to cost about $3,500 and will be available shortly via third-party card makers.