Now all Facebook apps can hit you up for subscriptions

The move opens up a new source of recurring revenue for Facebook app developers.

zdnet-facebook-subscriptions Facebook has finally rolled out subscription options to all developers with apps on the world's largest social network.

Previously announced in June, the addition of subscriptions offers developers a chance at a recurring revenue stream. Facebook's Yegna Parasuram described subscriptions on the Facebook Developers blog as a new way to grow businesses.

Developers can go about this by including updated content and/or premium experiences for a monthly fee, which will be charged to the customer in his or her local currency. But developers will continue to receive payouts in U.S. dollars.

As a way to further entice users into signing up for subscriptions, developers can offer free trials for however long they want the trial to last.

Note that developers receive 70 percent of the revenue, while Facebook takes the remaining 30 percent.

Facebook users can pay for subscriptions via credit card or PayPal, and they have the right to cancel from their account menus. Facebook also recommends that developers also include a cancel button somewhere, and while that would probably be a decent customer service move, it isn't a requirement yet.

To further boost the business end of subscriptions, Facebook also debuted a new payments reporting API for downloading transaction data reports. The API is necessary for downloading data about subscription purchases and refunds too.

Some of the partner companies that have already been taking part in subscriptions in beta mode include Facebook's close friend, Zynga, as well as other gaming companies such as Playdom and Kixeye.

Interested developers can sign up to use Facebook subscriptions now.

This item first appeared on ZDNet's Between the Lines blog under the headline "Facebook opens up subscriptions to all app developers."

Featured Video
This content is rated TV-MA, and is for viewers 18 years or older. Are you of age?
Sorry, you are not old enough to view this content.

Microsoft leaves Apple in the dust with tablet and laptop innovation in 2015

Will there be one Apple Ring to rule them all? That's what a patent application says. Plus, building the thinnest gadget isn't innovation anymore and Apple just got a reality check from Microsoft.

by Brian Tong