New bird coming to Angry Birds
Rovio GM Andrew Stalbow launches a new secret bird into Angry Birds franchise.
SAN FRANCISCO--Andrew Stalbow of Rovio, after revealing some stats on the success of Angry Birds at thehere, let drop that a new bird is coming in the October update of Angry Bird Seasons.
Stalbow did not say what the bird would be, just that the game has been providing hints to users in recent updates and ancillary products. A slide he displayed of the Mighty Eagle bird showed a small, duckling-like yellow bird in the corner, which may be the new bird. But more on this as it develops.
As for those stats, Stalbow reeled off some impressive numbers:
- Monthly users: 130 million
- Daily users: 30 million
- Minutes of gameplay a day: 300 million
- User breakdown: 50 percent U.S. China is next biggest market.
- Marketing budget so far: $0
- Number of revisions to Angry Birds games: Lots. "It's not a game, it's a service."
- Goal: To have 1 billion users.
- Upcoming product tie-ins: An Angry Birds movie (in addition to Rio). And a cookbook.