Netgear Media Storage router makes Apple Time Capsule so last year
Netgear announces at CES 2012 the new Media Storage router (WNDR4700), which offers an all-in-one networking solution for home.
As a networking device, the Media Storage Router is a Gigabit, true dual-band router that supports the three-stream N standard (450Mbps) on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Other than that, some of the router's main features also include:
- ReadyShare Vault: The router serves as the destination for continuous backups from any Windows or Mac computer (Time Machine supported).
- ReadyShare Cloud: This is a feature currently available in the WNDR3800 router that enables easy VPN-like remote access to the router's internal hard drive, which allows consumers to retrieve or edit files from any Internet-connected device.
- ReadyShare Printer: The router can host any USB printer and share it with other connected computers in the networks.
- Netgear Genie: This is a free utility, which wasin beta state. , for PCs and Macs, which enables home users to control, monitor, repair, and manage their home networks. Currently the software is available for PC with the Mac version
- Media Server: The Media Storage Router is DLNA-certified and can stream digital content from its built-in or USB-connected storage to any other DLNA-compatible device.
- Broadband usage meter: This feature enables people to monitor their Internet data consumption and sends customized alerts when usage is close to monthly bandwidth limits.
- Netgear Live Parental Controls: The router offers a centralized, flexible, and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones, and tablets, for a safe online environment for children and teenagers.
Netgear says the Media Storage Router (WNDR4700) will be available in summer 2012 with the pricing to be announced then. With all the potential, let's hope it will be worth the wait.