People have found that after creating a MobileMe e-mail alias online they are not able to use it on their local machine, despite having the option available online. The issue seems to be common among former .Mac members that switched to MobileMe, though the solution to this issue could may to other MobileMe members as well.
"I have one alias set up with my Mobile Me account which was previously a .Mac account. When composing emails in Mail, the drop down box only displays my email@example.com It does not give me the option of choosing my firstname.lastname@example.org. This iMac is a Power PC G5 running OS X 10.5.6. I also have an Intel Mac Book Pro which DOES give me the email@example.com when sending mail.Apple Support discussions user "David Bunting" echoes the issue:
By the way, both computers do display the option to send messages using my AppleID@me.com. It's just the alias that doesn't display on the iMac."
"I'm having the same problem on my iMac G4 and OS 10.4.11.
The aliases are fine using online email where the firstname.lastname@example.org shows up and functions properly. From the local Mail app the email@example.com does not show up, only firstname.lastname@example.org which theoretically does not exist and does not work."
I decided to check into this situation since I am in a similar position--a former .Mac member that had switched to MobileMe when it was upgraded. I have not created an alias before, so I started from scratch. As a side note, when opening a new message I did notice that, as "KKerber" mentioned I had both my email@example.com and my firstname.lastname@example.org to choose as the sender. Here is how I got my MobileMe Aliases to show up:
1. Open Mail, Preferences, Accounts
2. Select your MobileMe Account.
3. Click the button to "Edit Email Aliases...".
4. Log-in to your MobileMe online mail. This part was confusing because it does not take you directly to where users edit/add MobileMe Aliases.
5. From the MobileMe online mail application window, click the gear wheel icon button (for actions) and click "Preferences..."
6. In the Preferences window, select the tab for Aliases.
7. Enter an address for a new Alias and a Name to appear in "From". Click Create. Click Save.
8. Log out of your MobileMe online mail.
9. Sync MobileMe (Click the Sync icon in your menu bar and choose "Sync Now" or via System Preferences, MobileMe, Sync, Sync Now).
10. In Mail, Preferences, Accounts, your MobileMe account, click in the "Email Address:" field and add your new Alias. (If you are a .Mac/MobileMe member, you should see both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org in that field already.)
11. Close Mail Preferences and Save your changes.
12. Open a New Message and choose your Alias from the "From:" drop-down box.
Read this Apple Support discussions thread about getting MobileMe Aliases to show up on your Mac.
Experiencing problems? Have feedback? Let us know!Resources