Marissa Mayer tops Fortune's 40 under 40 list
Tech leaders dominate the finance magazine's 40 under 40 scoreboard, and the Yahoo CEO's placement on the 2013 edition is a milestone for the annual list.
There are numerous conclusions that could be drawn from Fortune's latest edition of its "40 under 40" list, but arguably the majority of the brightest young minds out there are grounded in the tech industry.
The finance magazine's annual scoreboard tracks the top 40 executives (or "hottest rising stars") under the age of 40 as determined by the editorial staff.
Six of the top 10 spots alone were claimed by executives from tech brands.
Familiar faces stood on top of the podium with Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, 38, pegged in the top spot.
She was followed by Square CEO Jack Dorsey, 36, and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, 29, respectively.
Mayer's placement on the 2013 edition is also a milestone for the annual list. According to Business Insider, this is the first time that a woman has been ranked first on the 40 under 40 list.
Regardless, Mayer's placement is well-deserved.
While Mayer has admitted and stressed repeatedly that Yahoo's turnaround is still under way, the former Google executive has definitely breathed new life into the previously flailing search engine.
As just one piece of evidence of that, Fortune cited that Yahoo stock has increased by a whopping 86 percent since her appointment in July 2012.
To recall before that, Yahoo had some trouble (to say the least) in the chief executive office -- namely going through four CEOs in the span of just four years.
Beyond the top three, here's a snapshot of some of the other tech execs who made the cut:
- Airbnb co-founders Brian Chesky, Joe Gebbia, and Nate Blecharczyk (all tied in sixth place)
- Pinterest co-founder and CEO Ben Silbermann (tied for 11th)
- Instagram co-founder and CEO Kevin Systrom (tied for 11th)
- Uber co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick (13th)
- Box co-founder and CEO Aaron Levie (14th)
- Yelp co-founder and CEO Jeremy Stoppelman (16th)
- Google's director of litigation Catherine Lacavera (18th)
- Tumblr founder and CEO David Karp (24th)
- Spotify founder and CEO Daniel Ek (tied for 28th)
Fortune's complete 40 under 40 list is available online now.
This story originally appeared as "Tech leaders dominate Fortune's 40 under 40 list" on ZDNet.