Mac OS X 10.5.4 printing problems: try HP driver updates
We've recently received reports from a number of readers indicating printing problems under Mac OS X 10.5.4.
We've recently received reports from a number of readers indicating printing problems under Mac OS X 10.5.4. MacFixIt reader Paul writes:
"I have a network of Macs running OS X and a laserjet 1320nw printer connected via ethernet. All was well until I upgraded to 10.5.4. When I did I couldn't print to that device. Tried reinstalling drivers and I can't even see the printer now. All still works fine on machines running 10.5.3."
If you are experiencing similar issues, try installing the HP Printer Driver 1.1 update released today by Apple. This update is available via Software Update and will only be visible if the printer is connected to your computer or a print queue has been created for an earlier version.
It is also available as a 405.1MB standalone download.
Failing that, try to restart CUPS manually: Launch the Terminal (located in /Applications/Utilities) and type the following commands, pressing return after each:
Failing that, you may need to reinstall CUPS, or revert to an earlier version of the system. Various versions are available from this Web site: http://www.cups.org/software.php,. First you should use the latest file with a .dmg extension, then move to prior iterations if necessary.
- Clear caches Use Leopard Cache Cleaner to perform a medium or deep cleaning of caches. One reader writes:
- Repair permissions Sure enough, some users have been able to resolve post Mac OS X 10.5.4-update printing issues by repairing disk permissions with Disk Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities).
- Mac OS X 10.5.4 (#5): Adobe CS3 problems persist?; Random problem? Try re-applying the combo updater first; more
- Mac OS X 10.5.4 (#4): Spotlight problems; random shutdowns; poor performance; more
- "syslogd" process taking 100% CPU under Mac OS X 10.5.4
- Mac OS X 10.5.4 (#2): issues fixed by reinstalling with standalone updaters; iSync problems
- Mac OS X 10.5.4 released; fixes Adobe CS3 save issue; update recommendations